aspire cambridge are currently recruiting for a Purchasing Assistant/Buyer on behalf of our client on Station Road in Cambridge.
The role sits inside the Global Supply Chain Team, responsible for the management of supply chain and production of our clients devices. This is a hands-on role where the candidate is expected to undertake various tasks in support of the team. This will be an ideal opportunity for the candidate to expand their knowledge and experience, with exposure to all the facets of Supply Chain activity.
The Global Supply Chain Team is an enthusiastic team of planning, logistics, distribution, packaging and supply chain managers who work closely with the engineers responsible for the specification, development, evaluation, testing, trialling and deployment of devices. We are looking for a Purchasing Assistant/Buyer to join the small team which is responsible for the sourcing and manufacture of components and services for our clients own devices. This team covers electronics and mechanical hardware design, supply chain management, manufacturing technology, logistics, product approvals, device firmware and Quality. This is a great opportunity to participate in the development of technology products for a high profile consumer electronics brand, and the start-up culture promoted provides a perfect environment for enthusiastic team players with the ambition to develop their skills.
Key activities for this role include:
- Assist Supply Chain Manager in creating costed Bills of Materials (BOM’s) for new product projects and managing these during project lifecycle.
- Build relationships with key suppliers to ensure Engineering team have access to new technology and components.
- Communicate with Supply Chain, managing engineering requirements and driving component enquiries through to commercial resolution and design in.
- Load new components into Arena database to ensure New Product Introduction (NPI) process is kept updated. Similar activity will be required for sustaining projects.
- Manage periodic reviews with key suppliers, updating pricing and reviewing current and future projects.
- Liaising with factory and communicating commercial and supply chain information regarding new projects and cost reduction activities.
- Assisting with communicating business product forecast to supply chain, managing manufacturing builds and ensuring components are available to meet that demand.
- Identify, explore and implement cost reduction ideas with suppliers, manufacturing partners and Engineering team.
- Offer Hardware team rapid catalogue (Farnell, RS etc) and intermittent purchasing requirements, utilising our clients Purchasing process and credit card orders.
- Assist with dispatching of small parcels and samples from Cambridge office. Arranging collections from other sites and communication of tracking information and progressing where required.
- Seek opportunities to improve business processes, and work with the relevant functions to identify and implement improvements, maximising value-add and minimising waste.
What experience are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- Good all round education with GCSEs in English & Mathematics minimum.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of consumer electronics related component and assembly purchasing/sourcing.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of working in multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience working with formal data management processes (revision control etc.)
- Computer literate (to an advanced level on Excel spreadsheets in particular, email, Word, etc.).
- Familiarity with setting up and administrating volume electronics manufacturing supply chain and sourcing, including contract negotiation and implementation.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of setting up and implementing formal data management processes (revision control etc.).
What qualities are we looking for in our ideal candidate?
- An outgoing and enthusiastic team player, with the attitude and energy to deliver in a fast paced, start-up environment
- An attention to detail, ensuring all aspects of key activities are carefully considered and addressed.
- An entrepreneurial flair and a can-do attitude; in the connected homes category things change very quickly and we constantly strive to adapt to these changes.
- A passion for doing what’s right for the customer.
- Excellent written, verbal and computer skills.
Duration: 9-12 Months Maternity Cover
Location: Station Road, Cambridge
Hours: Monday to Friday Full Time
Hourly Rate: £negotiable, depending on experience
If you are interested in this position, feel you have the relevant skills and would like to apply please call our team on or apply online. Whilst we’d love to get back to every applicant, it is not always possible, so if you haven’t heard from us within 3-5 days, please note that your application has not been successful on this occasion.
aspire cambridge ltd is acting as an employment agency in regards to this vacancy. Our accredited recruitment consultants offer specialist marketplace expertise across our seven specialist recruitment divisions; Office Support, Legal & HR – Industrial & Manufacturing – Finance & Accountancy – Hospitality – IT & Engineering – Sales & Marketing – Scientific & Medical.. Our ever-expanding network of client companies exceeds 3000 active organisations that we engage with on a regular basis. We have an unrivalled knowledge of the jobs marketplace so it’s no wonder that we hold an impressive track record of exceeding client and candidate expectations. How do we do it? By “placing people first”.