Although your biggest expense, employees are also your biggest asset. They certainly cost you in wages more than any other business expense. But what can you do to increase productivity? We’ve written a summary below of how to get the best out of your staff.
Be prepared – Get the people side of your business right
As the owner or manager, you may have clear ideas of how you want to grow your business, but:
- Do your staff understand those ideas and how they will need to be achieved?
- Are you concerned about the way they do their jobs?
- Are they contributing to those aims to the extent you envisaged?
- Are they not developing in the way you expected?
Getting the best out of your staff is about you:
- Ensuring they understand the overall goals of your business.
- Being clear what work each of them must do and how you want them to do it.
- Being clear how they will have to work as a team.
- Getting a better understanding of individual employees and what they contribute to your business.
- Highlighting the on-the-job coaching, support and training they may need to target certain areas of their work or overcome any problems.
- Improving and motivating individual and team performances.
- Adapting to shifts in circumstances that your business may face – and getting your staff to adapt with you so you are all working towards the same new goals.
How do I do this? – Appraisals and Assessments
Firstly, it doesn’t have to be complicated or bureaucratic. An appraisal is the framework for regularly assessing the performance of each of your employees and giving the direction they may need to achieve their objectives and the aims of your business. Setting up an appraisal system can seem daunting and time consuming – but it really only amounts to formalising what is already happening between line managers and staff by undertaking regular assessments. It is always recommended to consult with staff before introducing appraisals. Listen to their ideas and once you have an agreement and structure in place ensure that everyone understands how they work and the purpose of appraisals and assessments.
How Aspire Cambridge can help you get the best out of your staff
Staff appraisals can be quite time-consuming, especially if you have a large workforce and no previous experience of undertaking staff assessments. Outsourcing your HR requirements to experts saves you time and resources.
Our team of HR consultants are experienced in completing staff assessments and introducing appraisals. With over 20 years experience we can provide you with the best advice and service.
To discuss your HR requirements, call our HR team on 01223 855441 today.